Monday, December 5, 2016

Candy Crush



           I deleted the Candy Crush game from my phone. It was consuming my time and eating away minutes that should have been spent elsewhere - anywhere other than sitting on my sofa playing a video game. The worst part of this story is that it’s the second time I’ve become hooked on the game and had to remove it from my phone. I should be too embarrassed to admit this, but I believe that public confession will decrease my chances of a relapse.
            Let me make it clear that I’m not judging anyone who enjoys the game. I don’t believe that Candy Crush is bad; it’s just not good for me.
            In almost every area of my home is something that would have benefitted from the minutes I gave to Candy Crush. I could have mended my son’s suit, hemmed my nephew’s pants, or finally written in the journal I bought for my granddaughter. (She’s 18 months old!) Then there’s always the quilts I said I’d make from my daughters’ high school T-shirts.
            I did a little Math and figured out that since I sleep an average of 6.5 hours, I wake up with an available 1050 minutes each morning. Lately, I’ve used those first few minutes to pray that my day will be productive.
            Although Moses wasn’t distracted by video games, something caused him to evaluate how he would spend his minutes. He addressed it in the only psalm he wrote: “Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.” (Psalm 90:12)
            Today I’m asking myself a few questions. Which projects will I complete today? What do I want to accomplish before I die? What do I need to add or delete from my day to move one step closer to my goals?
            And I just remembered another project I have. I want to teach my daughters Monique, Lauren, and Elise to sew like their sister Victoria. If I do that, they can make their own T-shirt quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment