Monday, December 5, 2016

Help from Prayer



            I would like to publicly apologize to anyone I have offended during phone calls regarding sales, scheduling of repairs or installations. I’m doing this because my children have overheard such conversations and later tell me that I am uncharacteristically curt and persistent.
            My excuse is that I often feel ignored. Like the time I called for internet and cable service for my daughter in her college-town. After she waited during the scheduled time, two days in a row, a technician never arrived. During a call to set up a third appointment, another daughter claims I said, “I feel like I’m paying you to disappoint me.”
            In contrast, the call with Onstar wasn’t bad at all, but I’m still confused over the response I received. When asked if I wanted to review my future options, I asked, “When does this free membership end?”
            “In six months,” the operator said.
            “Then, no,” I said. “Don’t tell me now. I’ll call you in six months.” There was no way I would remember what he said in six months, so why bother? I just can’t figure out why he laughed at my response.
            But the most frustrated I become is when I’m put on hold, or transferred from one operator to another. Such was the case when I called to schedule an appliance repair and was relieved to finally speak with someone who said he could help. I was asked, again, to explain the problem.
            “Did you plug it, wait a while, then plug it back?” he asked.
            “No,” I said.
            “Try doing that and if it doesn’t work, call back.”
            “Oh, no!” I said. “It took me forty-four minutes to finally get to you. Let’s pretend I did what you said and it still doesn’t work. Now what?”
            He scheduled the repair.
            In light of those experiences, it’s no wonder that I enjoy prayer. The ability to have instant access to the Creator of the Universe is a privilege I never want to neglect. Through prayer I can connect with God. He listens to me and when I’m wise, I listen to Him.
            His answers vary. Sometimes the answer is yes, but it might also be no, wait a while, or I’ve got something better. Regardless of the response, the peace He gives me during prayer draws me again and again.
            “Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we many receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrews 4:16
Ronny may be reached at rmichel@rtconline.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment