Monday, December 5, 2016

Temptations



             A few weeks ago, four generations rode to church together. My granddaughter Adeline, my daughters Lauren and Victoria and I picked up my parents whom the grandchildren refer to as Mimi and Paw Paw.
The drive to New Orleans took us over the lake where water glistened under the warm rays of the sun, and a cool breeze formed the white tops of gentle waves.
“It’s almost too nice to go to church,” my dad said. I nodded in agreement until I heard my granddaughter’s voice.
“I want to go to my church!” Adeline said.
“Oh yes, that’s what I meant. It’s so nice we should go to church.”   
I was stuck in between surprise that she understood what he meant and delight in her desire to attend church.
A few minutes later, just after I dropped my parents off at the curb near church, Victoria said, “I’m so hungry.”
“Me, too,” I said. “Would it be wrong to bring Adeline to Children’s Church and go to Another Broken Egg for breakfast?”
“We can’t go without Mimi and Paw Paw,” Lauren said. “Look, they haven’t made it to the door yet.”
            I turned to see that the parking attendant had moved a cone so that I could park in a good spot. “Looks like we’re going to church,” I said.
            As we sat in church, I couldn’t help but smile when the first Scripture verse was read, “So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13
            Tempted by beautiful weather and empty stomachs, we instead chose to follow Adeline’s wishes.
“And a little child would lead them.” Isaiah 11:6

No comments:

Post a Comment